Urologic emergencies can create dangerous and life-threatening situations for patients without proper medical attention. Refusing to keep a close eye on changes to your health and medical history can increase the chances for painful infections, severe deformities, and the steep medical bills that follow.
To better combat emergency situations, be aware of the signs and symptoms that accompany these three common urologic conditions that require immediate medical treatment.
Lower Urinary Tract Obstruction
Also known as acute urinary retention (AUR), an obstruction in the lower tract will make the bladder impossible to void. Without treatment, this illness can quickly lead to infection or death.
- Caused By: Birth defects effecting the urethra, kidney stones, prostate cancer, tumors, polyps, blood clots, or other large growths that impede the flow of urine.
- Symptoms:Strong abdominal pain, frequent urination that is painful and slow to start, UTIs, and/or incontinence.
AUR can be easily treated by a local urologist in Brooklyn NY and entails minimally invasive surgery or minor hormonal treatments.
Also known as a kidney infection, pyelonephritis refers to a bacterial infection that has caused the kidneys to malfunction.
- Caused by: A type of bacterial UTI infection that effects the kidneys.
- Symptoms: Nausea and vomiting, high fever, cloudy, foul-smelling, and painful frequent urination, and pain in the lower region (groin, sides, and lower back).
Treatment requires hospitalization and prescribing a course of strong antibiotics.
Gross Hematuria with Clot Retention
Gross hematuria simply means “visible blood in urine.” Having a clot retention complication post-surgery can lead to serious health concerns without immediate treatment.
- Caused by: Heavy bleeding within the urinary tract that clots together in the urethra.
- Symptoms:Inability to void, heavy sweating, tachycardia, hypotension, and rectal urgency. Large amounts of blood will be present in the urine when passed, changing the color slightly. Symptoms of a fever may also be present.
Mechanical treatments through bladder irrigation will quickly rectify the issue.
Need Medical Care in NY?
Combining regular physical exams with lab studies and imaging through a certified urologist are crucial to maintaining health and rapidly diagnosing urological emergencies for timely treatment.
Finding a reputable urologist in Brooklyn, NY may seem like a difficult task, but it doesn’t need to be. Serving the residents of NY for years as a top ten hospital in all three quality categories, Maimonides Medical Center is proud to assist patients in the effective treatment of their urologic needs. Leading the charge at the forefront of innovative medical procedures, our board-certified urologists are equipped to provide patients with the very best medical care possible. Reach out to us today to schedule an appointment and learn more about how we can serve you.