Singapore is a very promising country when it comes to education. We have a well-structured syllabus for every subject area considered one of the world’s best teaching methodology. We also have an inclusive learning approach wherein students are not treated as a group that needs to learn one lesson per class and mathematics so individual learners with unique learning capabilities. We believe that this method is the very reason that our educational system is effective for our learners.
As a provider of JC Math Tuition in Singapore for years, we are very much aware of the differences when it comes to students’ understanding of the lesson, attention spans, and learning styles. This reality led us to find means to teach mathematics so that every student can participate in the lessons at their own pace. The methodology that we realized from our country’s educational system is what we believe is the key to the success of our goals in providing quality education for young learners.
The Mathematics Subject in Singapore
When we talk about education in Singapore, Mathematics subject has always been our bread and butter. No one can ever deny the effectiveness of our teaching methodology in the Mathematics subject compared to other education systems.
According to Study International, our students from both primary and secondary levels topped the international assessment for Mathematics. In a study by Trends in International Mathematics and Science Studies that is being conducted every four years, Singapore students ranked first among the 72 participating countries for Mathematics subject. With this achievement, we can surpass Japan, South Korea, Hongkong, and Taiwan in the standing. However, that is just the tip of the iceberg. Did you know that Singapore has been participating in the study since 1995? Did you further know that since its inception, we were able to rank first in Mathematics three times? Yes! Our students were able to rank first in the world during 2003, 2015 and 2019 conducting of the study. This entails the prowess of Singapore students in the field of mathematics, which goes to show how effective our Math teachings is here in Singapore.
In the said study, Singapore students in the primary level gained an average of 54% advanced benchmark while secondary level students scored 51%. These numbers are proven higher than the global median.
But how did we manage to do it? What exactly is different from our teaching strategy of Mathematics in Singapore?
The Singapore Math
Dubbed as the “Singapore Math” by other countries across the world, our methodology of teaching the Mathematics subject is a bit unique. The Singapore Mathematics technique signified a shift in how math was taught. The program has a three-step learning strategy that progresses from concrete to pictorial to abstract.
- Concrete refers to the kind of learning that is very close to the concept of “learning by doing”. It entails the application of the mathematical concept into an activity that can make the student understand the lesson better. For example, if you are teaching division to the primary students, you will have to show them a concrete application of the division process like dividing the content of a cookie jar among the number of kids in the class. This way, the students will be able to understand the concept in its very application. It is a very different approach when compared to the standard teachings of Mathematics in other curriculum wherein the problems are strictly numerical and must be solved through equations.
- Pictorial, on the other hand, refers to the use of visuals and representations on paper. Although a bit similar to the tangible process, this process is more theoretical than applied. It is done so that the students will be able to retain the information they learn from the tangible application when transferred to the paper. The rationale behind this is simple since most of the Mathematics examinations they’ll encounter in the future are in written format, it is only logical to teach the students how to use their gained knowledge from tangible exercises into visual representations. This process reinforces the retention of information as well as the application of the knowledge.
- The abstract process is the last in our Mathematics methodology. This process involves critical thinking and analysis. In this process, the students are expected to apply their knowledge in solving more complex problems using equations, formulas, and their practices from the previous processes.
Singapore Math, as you can see, has an intervention before the teaching of formulas to the students. This intervention, we believe, is the key to our students’ achievements in the field of Mathematics. It is not solely because it uses an application and enhances retention. Moreover, it caters to the different learning styles of the students. Some students are inclined to learning by seeing, some by listening, others by reading, and some by doing. With these three processes, students of various learning styles can adapt to the lessons at their own pace and using the set of skills most prominent to them.
The phrase “no child left behind” was given a new meaning in the Singapore Mathematics curriculum. The idea of teaching a whole class the same lesson is counter inclusive is being understood by Singapore mentors and tutors for the longest time. When teaching a whole class, there is a great chance that some students who do not have the learning capabilities needed to comply with the teaching approach of the teacher will not be able to cope with the discussions. This is one of the major problems in the education systems of many countries.
In Singapore, we teach Mathematics in such a way that every child will get the chance to use their potentials in understanding the lessons and participate in the discussions. This inclusive approach to learning is what makes Singapore Math effective.
Emphasis on Mastery
Another great aspect of Singapore Math is that it pays a great emphasis on mastery. The biggest part of why Mathematics is such a complex subject for many learners is that it involves almost every learning skills one can name of. Especially in more advanced mathematics levels like JC H2 Math tuitions, the lessons require the students to think critically, memorize formulas, apply the fundamental principles, and understand graphs, charts and representations. This makes the Mathematics subject quite difficult for many students.
The difficulty is even more amplified when they have to think of the subject as something that they needed to pass rather than something that needs to be mastered. The difference between the two is that when a student studies a subject just to pass, his mind tells him that the lessons are not permanent and he need not retain the information for a long time. Aside from the reality that the information tends to be forgotten right after the exam, there is also a chance that the student will have difficulty remembering it even during the test since his mind is conditioned that the information is not for the long term.
In H2 Math Tuition in Singapore is different in the sense that the teachers, mentors, and tutors are inculcating the idea that the concepts students are learning from the subject can be applied in daily life and are practical. This promotes an emphasis on the mastery of the subject than merely memorizing formulas.
The Pros and Cons of Singapore Math
Everything has pros and cons in its way. What was dubbed as “Singapore” is no different. Although it is a very good curriculum, one can still find a hole in its process. Addressing this will make people, especially parents, understand Singapore Math better.
Pros of Singapore Math
Below are the advantages of the teaching methodology for the Mathematics subject in Singapore:
- It improves students thinking and retention skills.
- Workbooks are designed to be easily understood with proper and effective phases and clear visuals.
- It follows the Common Core State Standards Initiative.
- The curriculum covers a few topics per academic year but with in-depth teachings to make room for mastery.
Cons of Singapore Math
Listed below are the few disadvantages being pointed out by critiques when it comes to the Mathematics curriculum in Singapore:
- It diverts from the traditional step-by-step problem-solving approach from the Western books.
- It might be difficult for students who tend to move from school to school.
- It requires funding. Although Singapore has a good funding system for education, with 20% of the government’s annual budget being allocated to the Ministry of Education, not all countries can adopt the same approach.
If Singapore Math sounds good to you. You probably want to know more about what awaits after primary and secondary Mathematics. Read further to learn more about the H2 Math Tuition.
Introducing H2 Mathematics in Singapore
Mathematics is an essential part of a student’s academic life. It might easily go unnoticed but we use Mathematics in many ways under different subjects. Chemistry, physics, and a lot of other science subjects include Mathematical skills as core competencies. Thus, whichever field a student wish to excel in and start a career in the future, he/she will need mastery in Mathematics to compete. Whether your child is already showing excellence in his Elementary Mathematics and Additional Mathematics or is showing poor adaptability on the subject, it is crucial to support his/her learning through a reinforced approach like tutoring and peer learning.
After completing the secondary education level, a learner who wishes to pursue further studies in the field of Mathematics will have to deal a lot with H2 Math Tuition. In most cases, a semester in Junior college will require him/her to take 2 H2 subjects and 1 H1 subject in Mathematics. When the student is more academically inclined, the school might even offer him/her 2 H2 subjects for further learnings.
Although your child already has a good grasp of advanced level Mathematics, it is important to keep track of his/her learning through tutoring. Finding the best H2 Math Tuition in Singapore can help your child prepare for and ace his Mathematics exams in the future.
How do you find the best H2 Math Tuition in Singapore?
JC H2 Math Tuition is not an easy thing to handle. Various things can affect the learner’s performance in the Advanced Mathematics lessons. Thus, a tutor who can provide quality supplementary lessons for the student is a good factor to improve the student’s standing. Here are some qualities you should look for in a Math tutor:
- Mastery of the Subject – Mathematics is a complex subject. The tutor, especially if he will provide JC Math Tuition, must be adept at different fields of Mathematics. If you are looking for a good tutor for your child, you must opt for one with the right qualifications. It is better to have a tutor who graduated with a degree in Mathematics specifically. Although engineering graduates can teach the subject too, you can rely best on Mathematics graduate in explaining the principles and applications of every Math lessons. A tutor with a degree in Mathematics and who graduated from a reputable university will guarantee a quality teaching method. It will also be a good thing if the tutor has some distinctions on his records. This entails his prowess on the subject matter he is teaching.
- Experience – The years of teaching experience says a lot about the capabilities of a tutor. With years in service comes valuable knowledge not just in the subject itself but in handling the learnings of the tutees. Should you want your kids to excel in Advanced Mathematics, you must find him/her a tutor who has extensive experience. It is also preferable to choose a tutor who knows how to handle a by-group and individual tutoring.
- Proven track record – The most distinct proof of good tuition is a good track record of successful tutees. Try to see how student’s performance and examination results have improved after the tutor’s intervention.
Does your child have what it takes to excel in the field of Mathematics? Grab the opportunity here in Singapore and let him/her be the best professional he/she can be in the field. Let your child have the best H2 Math tuition he/she could experience and start the learning journey today!