Stuttering may seem an insignificant problem, but for many, it can be a cause of failures, lack of confidence, and low self-esteem. This kind of speech disorder makes someone uncomfortable during social interaction. The one who stammers finds it hard to speak clearly, because the words get stuck or they pause at some syllables. One may also find themselves repeating the same words again and again. But you do not need to worry about it, because it can be cured, with just a few tips.
At what age does stuttering usually start?
According to research, it is seen that mostly 75% of children ages 2 to 6 get affected. And the rest, 25% get affected with it during their adulthood.
What are the tips to stop stuttering and stammering?
Stopping stuttering is easy and can be cured by following some of the below-mentioned tips.
Tip 1: Slowing down your speech
The most effective way of stopping stuttering is to talk slow. By taking a few breaths in between speaking, you can avoid stuttering. It can give you some time to think and plan your words in advance. When you rush to complete a thought in action, it can make you stammer. So, speak slowly and steadily, and you will win the race.
Tip 2: Thorough and constant practice is required
You need to reach out to a friend and ask them to sit and talk to you. It can help you practice in a safe environment that can make you comfortable. It can help you in listening to your own speech.
You can also consider joining a self-help group where there could be similar people like you. You can observe and notice how it works for other people when they speak in public and then implement it for your speech.
Tip 3: Electronic devices
There are some specialized electronic ear devices called a speech monitor, which may be useful. It uses a frequency changed feedback mechanism that can help you speak clearly and smoothly.
Similar to a simple hearing aid, this device is attached to the inside of your ear. This software alters the sound of the voice and helps in delaying it in a couple of seconds. It can help one to lower the speed of the speech that can help in stopping stuttering.
By following a few of these tips, one can cure or reduce the stammering problem considerably.
How can you help a friend or your loved one suffering from stuttering?
If a friend or your loved one is stammering, you need to have some patience while dealing with them. You should allow them to complete their sentence and not stop them midway. If you try to finish their sentence, it would be difficult for them to share their thoughts.
So, you have to deal with them patiently and allow them to speak. By doing this, you can make them feel confident about themselves and also the speech. Long-term support is a much-needed help for those individuals and can help them in stopping stuttering.