This isn’t the first time when you are actually hearing about the term fire extinguisher. There are various types available when it comes to such mechanisms, but the importance of portable fire extinguishers is on the rise. As the name is pretty much self-explanatory, with the help of the portable extinguishers, you can carry the piece around with you whenever the time is needed. These extinguishers are smaller in size when compared to the other basic ones and can fit right into your vehicle or anywhere else you want.
However, before you start using one such fire extinguisher, there are some points that you need to consider. Be sure that the fire department has been called. Moreover, you need to announce the fire spread out to everyone for alert. Moreover, be sure that the occupants have begun evacuating or leaving the structure.
You can only start the use of an extinguisher when the fire is small and not spreading. In case it gets out of control, then nothing will work out unless the firefighters visit the spot. Furthermore, make sure that you are aware of the ways in which your fire extinguisher might operate. Moreover, the fire should not block the unobstructed escape route.
Types of fire to learn more about:
What type of fires should we fight with a portable fire extinguisher? This is one solid question, whose answer needs to be met as soon as possible. But before getting to that point, it is mandatory to learn more about the types of fires first.
- You have the Class A fire. These are ordinary combustibles like paper, wood, and trash, plastic or even cloth. You can always use the help of a fire extinguisher for such services.
- Then you have the Class B fire. These fires are associated with the ones where flammable liquids are in question. Some of those options are petroleum oil, gasoline, and paint. You can also include the flammable gases over here like butane and propane. These class B fires will not include the ones associated with grease or cooking oil.
- The third one to consider is the Class C fire. These fires will involve energised electrical equipment. Some of those are transformers, motors and appliances. Make sure to remove power and the Class C fire becomes one to add in the list. As long as the fire is towards the lower scale, the portable fire extinguishers will be of great use.
- Class D fire is another list to categorise, where the fires are associated with combustible metals like sodium, potassium, magnesium and aluminium. It is always clever to call the firefighters for such stages as you never know the severity of such fuelled up metals to deal with.
- Class K Fires are the last category to consider, where the fire is associated with greases and cooking oil like vegetable fat and animal fat.
The ways to use your fire extinguisher:
Is this the first time when you are planning to use a fire extinguisher? If so, then you might have to follow the steps on how to use one. Make sure to learn more about the steps beforehand and don’t just leave it till the last moment. The steps mentioned below will serve you with the best choice.
- The first step is pull. Here, you need to pull the pin in a swift motion.
- Now, it is time to aim. You need to aim the hose or nozzle at just the base of the fire from any recommended safe distance.
- Next stop, you have to squeeze. Make sure to squeeze the operating lever for discharging the extinguishing agent from the can.
- For the last step, you need to sweep. From the given recommended distance, sweep the nozzle of hose from one side to another until the fire is out. Make sure to move forward and even around the fire area as the fire starts to diminish. Be sure to keep an eye on the area for any case of re-ignition.
The use of portable extinguisher for your vehicles:
Most of the residential and commercial places will have the regular extinguisher for use. But, there are some particular areas where you get to see the use of portable fire extinguishers. One such section is the vehicle. Whenever you are traveling, it is always better to be safe than sorry. The engine of your vehicle is rounded up with so many wires and electrical lines. So, catching up sparks which might result in fire later, is too common.
With the help of a portable extinguisher, you can take complete control over the fire before it gets to spread out. However, you need to list out the names of portable fire extinguisher for vehicles first and then get one for your use. Keep this product handy as you never know when you might need it. Most people will store this product at the storage portion of the vehicle, which can be easily accessed.
Go in with the types:
Now, before finalising on the extinguisher you need, it is better to check out with the types in here. Learning about the type will actually help you to make way for the right choice over here.
- You have the dry chemical extinguisher, which will interrupt the fire spread out with the help of chemical reaction.
- Then you have the halogenated or clean agent portable fire extinguishers, which are based on the halocarbon agent or the 1211 agent. However, this second option is not quite in use these days.
- Water and foam extinguishers are there, which will extinguish the fire by taking heat away from fire. Foam agents will further separate the oxygen from heat and fuel.
- Dry powder extinguishers are quite famous these days and pretty similar to the dry chemical except that they will extinguish the fire by separating fuel from oxygen elements of the fire.
Learning about the types and their price points will actually help you to make way for the best extinguishers in town. Just check in with the options before the final purchase is made.