A home garden is a great way to add some greenery to your outdoor space, and it is relatively easy to make one. With a bit of creativity and some basic DIY skills, you can create a beautiful and functional deck rail planters garden that will enhance the look of your deck and give you access to herbs at home.
To make a deck rail planter, you will need the following:
- A drill and drill bits
- Lumber (pressure-treated wood or cedar are good options)
- Exterior paint or stain (optional)
- Landscaping fabric or plastic sheeting
- Potting soil
Here’s a basic plan for building a deck rail planters garden:
- Measure the width of your deck rail and the depth of your planter. Cut the lumber to the appropriate size. If you’re making a planter that sits on the rail, you’ll need to make it slightly wider than the rail so it will fit snugly.
- Assemble the planter box by attaching the sides to the bottom using screws and a drill. Make sure the corners are square, and the seams are tight.
- Paint or stain the planter box, if desired. This will protect the wood from the elements and give it a finished look.
- Cut a piece of landscaping fabric or plastic sheeting to fit the bottom of the planter box. This will prevent soil from escaping through the drainage holes and help to keep the soil in place.
- Fill the planter box with potting soil. Go for rich soil with good water retention. You can get treated soil for specific plants that need them.
- Add your plants, and position them as desired.
- Hang the planter on the deck rail using screws or another appropriate method, or place it on top of the rail.
You can add bracing on the inside corner; this will help to prevent bowing and warping over time. DIY deck rail planters are a great way to add personality to your deck and create a beautiful and functional space. With some creativity and basic DIY skills, you can create a planter that’s perfectly suited to your needs and will enhance your deck’s look for years to come.