Is playing tennis one of your favourite sports? If you don’t have a hobby or are looking forward to buying time on the tennis court, you will need someone to hold your hand.
If you are wondering where you should start with playing tennis and what you should be looking for, you can get help with these tips from Graeme Servantes. Here we give you all the tips you need to start off in tennis.
1. Get a good racquet
Your racquet is one of the most important pieces of equipment you will need as a tennis player. It means you should take your time when choosing the right one for the game. You need a racquet that fits well on your hand and fits the game.
There are different racquet sizes in the market. You want to confirm with your trainer which size is suitable for beginners like you.
2. Pick a ball
You also need the right ball if you play tennis for the first time. Tennis balls come in different sizes and colours. You can start your journey with a red tennis ball made of felt or foam. Red balls are often larger and travel slower than the standard yellow ball.
You can also opt for an orange ball that travels on air faster than the red ball which bounces lower than the standard yellow ball. A green ball has a low bounce rate compared to a yellow ball.
3. Start the game on a modified court
There are different tennis courts you can opt for depending on the type of ball you are using and your level of experience.
- Red court: This one measures 36 x 18, making it easy for you to focus on the ball and learn other fundamentals of the game.
- Orange court: This court measures 60 x 27 or 60 x 21. It is one of the best courts you can opt for if you’re still working on your technical, athletic, and competitive skills.
Green court: While you improve your orange and red court skills, you graduate to the green court with time. This court measures 78 x27 or 78 x 36, making it one of the largest courts. It is the recommended court for professional tennis players.
4. Master the rules of the game
The rules of playing tennis are not as complex as you think. The tennis court is divided into two equal parts with a net. Single players occupy both sides when playing. For doubles, two players will occupy both sides.
You win a point in tennis if:
- Your ball bounces in the opponent’s court, and they don’t return it
- The ball bounces twice in the opponents’ court
- The opponent hits the ball into the net or out of the court
You lose a point if:
- What you are wearing touches the net or the opponents’ side of the court
- You hit the ball before it crosses your side of the net
- You don’t touch a ball before it returns to the opponent’s side
Tennis is such an amazing game. You can take your time, get the right ball, register with a team, and start training. You are on your way to becoming a champion if you can take time to learn the basics of this game.